Thursday, February 27, 2014

Asparagus Fries


I live near Stockton, and every year they have an asparagus festival (it's a big deal 'round these parts) and every year I go just for their deep-fried asparagus. If you've never had it, you're really missing out. It's seriously nom-a-licious
... ... ... 
... ...
...

Sorry, I was having a moment. Where was I? Oh yeah, asparagus. 

Since my surgery, I struggle sometimes with things that are heavy in oil or have too much breading (which is a good thing I guess -- helps me behave) so I thought why not try something along the lines of the zucchini fries since they were such a big hit, but with asparagus instead (as I was feeling nostalgic for deep-fried asparagus). 

Asparagus is another veggie that 4ft swears he hates and refuses to eat. I've recently come to the conclusion that if I bread it, call it "fries", and give him ketchup for dipping, he'll eat ANYTHING! He inhaled these, doing a little butt shake (not making this up), and making happy noises. He happily had seconds. It was amazing. And while they're not deep fried asparagus (because, really, what is?), they are really delicious and a lot better for you too.



Asparagus Fries

Ingredients
1 bunch of asparagus
1 TBS unflavored protein powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 cup panko
3 TBS grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 egg
1 TBS water

Directions
1.)Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
2.) Wash asparagus and cut hard ends off -- place in gallon Ziplock bag. 
3.) Sprinkle protein powder, garlic, salt, and pepper over asparagus, seal bag, and shake well to coat asparagus. Set aside.
4.) In a shallow dish, combine panko, Parmesan, and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
5.) In a shallow dish, beat together egg and water. Set aside.
6.) Dip asparagus in egg wash then dredge through panko mixture. Place on a cookie sheet with a wire rack.
7.) Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
8.) Serve immediately.

Nutritional Info per Serving (makes three servings)
Calories: 101
Protein: 8
Fat: 2
Carbs: 15
Sugar: 2

No comments: