As promised the recipe for the 100 Grand Truffles complete with pictures.
Don't they look delicious? Believe me, they are. I'm the one who took the bite, snapped the picture, and then quickly devoured the rest of the square.
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 2/3 cup white sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat; stirring occasionally until candy thermometer reads “soft ball” or when you drip a glob of candy in cold water and it doesn't dissolve in the water
- Line container (size dependent on desired thickness) with parchment paper and cooking spray
- Pour into tray and let cool completely
- Spray knife with cooking spray and cut caramels
- Dip in chocolate, sprinkle with coarse salt (optional), and serve.
- Pour prepared caramel (as above) over a layer of Rice Crispies on the parchment paper (2 cups Rice Crispies)
- Let cool, cut with a prepared knife, and dip in chocolate.
An update from yesterday:
The Grumpybutt didn't throw the hysterics at being dressed up like I thought he would. He wasn't happy but he was easily distracted and then completely forgot he was wearing something he didn't like. After the pictures, however, when I asked him if he wanted to change his clothes, he didn't dignify me with a response and started stripping right there in the lobby of Picture People. So Day 3 of Spring Break wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
As to what we're up to on Day 4: We're all still in our jammies (yes, it's 12:15. what's your point?) and I'm getting ready to make lunch. I've been busy though you wouldn't know it by my slothful appearance. So far I've dipped all 46 squares of caramel into chocolate, hard boiled 24 eggs so we can dye them for the Easter Bunny, did some webdesign coding for my day job, and 3 loads of laundry. Yes, I lead a glamorous life. I know you're all green with envy. Who wouldn't be?
At some point I'll get in the shower...