Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Spicy Basil Chicken


We eat a lot of chicken. A lot. I'm pretty sure I cluck in my sleep, just sayin'. But it's the easiest meat for my stomach to digest which is why I make it more often than not. So I'm always experimenting with different flavors to keep it interesting because food boredom is a terrible, terrible thing. And so is fresh herbs going bad in your fridge, by the way, which is how we ended up with this yummy chicken dish. 

I love pad thai but since I don't have a lot of room in my stomach for the noodles, I thought it'd be cool to make the chicken separate and have a little noodles on the side. Well, I didn't have noodles -- which I'd discovered after having made the chicken. I also found that my basil was going to go bad if I didn't use it. So I chopped it up and threw it on the chicken. Oh. Em. Bee. It turned out so delicious. I served it with a quinoa and kale side dish I picked up from Costco to which I added a little light sour cream and corn too (it was good, but I wouldn't buy it again).



Spicy Basil Chicken
(It's not that spicy... 4ft said, "It just has a little kick.")
 
Ingredients
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts; cut into strips
1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
1 TBS minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
1 TBS fish sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
2 tsp golden brown sugar
1 tsp water
1/2 tsp corn starch
1/4 cup chopped basil (fresh)


Directions
1.) Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium high heat.
2.) Spray skillet with olive oil (I love my Misto) and add onions and garlic. Saute until they turn translucent.
3.) Add chicken to the pan and salt and pepper to taste.
4.) In a small bowl, combine fish sauce through corn starch and mix well.
5.) When chicken is cooked, pour in sauce and cook for a couple minutes -- for the sauce to thicken and coat the chicken.
6.) Remove from heat and sprinkle with chopped basil
7.) Eat it because it's good.

Nutrition Info per Serving (makes 6 servings)
Calories: 135
Protein: 26
Fat: 9
Carbs: 18
Sugar: 13

No comments: