Saturday, February 15, 2014

Easy French Dip


My Epic came over the other day (she had the sleeve surgery as well in January -- on Grumpers birthday to be exact) and started regaling me with tales of delicious french dip meals without the bread. I love french dips so I asked her for the recipe. She looked at me like I was insane (it's a look I get from her and other's a lot come to think of it -- I'm not sure why) and then said all she does is makes a packet of au jus gravy (did anyone else know about this magical packet? I'd never heard of it before but sure enough it's there in the packet aisle of your local supermarket) and pours it over deli counter roast beef and then eats it. Genius. It doesn't get much more moist, meaty, or easier to swallow and digest than a good slice of lunch meat in gravy. 

I decided to implement her genius idea. Since I'm further along in the process and don't have anymore dietary restrictions -- other than if it hurts don't eat it, dummy -- I made a sandwich. Can I just say how much I love sandwich thins and the fact I can eat them pain free? Cuz I do. I love them. This was heaven on a plate. It went down so smooth with dipping in the au jus, I didn't miss my drink. How awesome is that? I could only eat about 3/4 of it, it's really filling, but it was worth every scrumptious bite.


Easy French Dip

Ingredients
1/2 lb deli counter roast beef (get the good stuff)
1/2 oz of pepper jack cheese (or a favorite cheese)
slice of onion
spray of olive oil
pinch of salt
100% whole grain sandwich thin
Mc Cormick au jus gravy packet

Directions
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit 
2.) Make the au jus per instructions on packet. When au jus is done pour in a bowl over roast beef.
3.) Heat small skillet on medium and saute onions with a spray of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
4.) Line a cookie sheet with foil and place the sandwich thin on it.
5.) Measure out 2 oz of roast beef (you'll have enough meat for four sandwiches) and put on one side of sandwich thin, top with sauteed onions and cheese.
6.) Leave open-faced and bake in oven for 5 - 10 minutes until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melty. Remove from oven, close sandwich, and serve with 1/4 cup au jus for dipping.

Nutritional Info per Serving (makes 1 serving)
Calories: 235
Protein: 20
Fat: 9
Carbs: 25
Sugar: 2

No comments: