Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Spice Rubbed Steak


When I do a spice rub, I do a spice rub. My philosophy is the more flavor the better which might hurt some meat purists out there but if I wanted to taste steak without flavor I'd just chew on a cow in the pasture, you know? Put on the spice I say. Doesn't taste like meat? Who cares, it's delicious. (I might be over exaggerating a bit... or a lot. It still tastes like steak to me.)

This steak is so juicy and flavorful that I, who love me some A-1 sauce in abundance, ate it without it. Yes, you read that right. No wet condiment to help wash it down because I can't drink while eating. It didn't need it. It was so good even Grumpers and Bear ate it, and they don't usually eat meat ever unless it's from McDonalds (don't even get me started.) Okay, so they only had a couple bites of it, but that's a couple bites more than I can usually get in them. 



Spice Rubbed Steak

Ingredients
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup beef broth
4 - 4oz steaks
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
1 tsp sweet mesquite seasoning
1 tsp Chicago steak seasoning
1/4 tsp pepper

Directions
1.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit 
2.) In a small bowl combine all the ingredients from Worcestershire sauce to beef broth. Set aside.
3.) In another small bowl combine all ingredients from salt to pepper. Set aside.
4.) Heat a large oven safe skillet (any skillet is oven safe if you wrap the handles in foil) on medium high.
5.) Baste first side of steaks with Worcestershire mix making sure to get minced garlic on the meat as well. 
6.) Sprinkle half the spice rub over the steaks and then press into the meat.
7.) Flip meat and repeat steps 5 and 6.
8.) Sear steaks in the hot skillet -- about 2 - 3 minutes each side.
9.) Pop the steaks, skillet and all, into the hot oven for about 8 minutes (it really depends on the thickness of the meat -- but 8 usually gives me a medium to medium rare steak which is my favorite)
10.) Remove from oven, cover with foil, and let rest 5 minutes. Serve.

No comments: