Saturday, March 8, 2014

Carne Asada


I love Mexican food, not as much as Chinese food (but I think that's because I never get authentic Chinese and always have access to Mexican -- family actually eats that) and Carne Asada is one of my favorites. So when I had a couple steaks thawed in the fridge and didn't feel like having straight steak (cuz Mexican steak is crooked?), I threw a bunch of spices together that scream "Mexican food"  flavors to me and did a spice rub. And of course nothing says Mexican food like onions and peppers so I had to throw them in as well. 4ft and the husband won't actually eat the onions and peppers (well except for on the Turkish Pizza because they didn't know they were there) but they both like how it flavors the dish (which is cool cuz more for me -- I love onions and peppers). 

I love how versatile this dish is. While I ate it like steak, smothered in onions and peppers with lettuce, tomatoes, lemon, and sour cream, the boys sliced their steak up and melted it into quesadillas with a salad on the side. The Littles just had cheese quesadillas of course because heaven forbid they eat meat that didn't come from McDonalds. The meat would also be great as fajitas as well, but I didn't want all the extra filler from the tortilla as I'm still struggling to get my protein needs met for the day, otherwise I totally would've gone fajita on it's butt.

It's even better the next day (and the day after that) and I know, because I've been eating on it for three days now. 





Carne Asada

Ingredients
**1 1/2 lbs steak (cut into strips)
1 TBS taco seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS minced garlic
1 medium yellow onion (sliced)
3 red mini sweet peppers (sliced)
3 orange mini sweet peppers (sliced)
3 yellow mini sweet peppers (sliced)

Directions
1.) Place steak strips, taco seasoning, salt, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and black pepper in a gallon Ziplock bag and shake what your mama gave you until all the meat is coated in spices. Set aside. 
2.) Clean and slice all the onions and peppers. Set aside.
3.) Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil. When oil is hot throw in garlic and stir for 30 seconds to a minute until garlic is fragrant but not burnt.
4.) Dump steak into the pan. Sear for three minutes. Flip and sear the other side for 3 minutes. Remove meat from pan -- set aside -- but leave the juices in the pan. 
5.) Add onions and peppers to the pan and saute 5 minutes -- stirring often -- or until onions become translucent and peppers soften some.
6.) Add meat back to the pan. Saute together 5 minutes to blend flavors and finish cooking the meat.
7.) Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. 
8.) Serve and eat. I like mine on a bed of lettuce, with a couple slices of tomato, a sprinkle of lemon juice, and some sour cream.

Nutritional Info per Serving (makes 8 servings)
Calories: 180
Protein: 20
Fat: 8
Carbs: 3
Sugar: 2

** I'm sure carne asada is made with a specific type cut of meat but I have no idea what that is, plus I'm super cheap and when I buy steak its whatever's on sale and I never look at what kind it is which is why whenever I use cow it's always just a generic "steak" labeling. 

No comments: