Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pork Gyro w/Tzatziki


So here's another installment of "I haven't traveled but I wanna and am doing so from home with food". Well sorta. I have to get creative because while I'm game to try anything, my family -- not so much. 

This week, we traveled to Greece, by way of gyros with tzatziki sauce. So, I know gyros are traditionally made with lamb. My family won't eat lamb. My husband swears he doesn't like it, but I'm not sure as if he has ever tried it, and 4ft would rather have one as a pet than *gasp* eat one so I knew that was a no go. From what I can tell it's the spices that make the gyro not the meat so much as they have them with ground beef and chicken too. Well I figured why the heck not and used pork. I had it in the freezer and it needed to get eaten before it died of freezer burn but these spices would work with any meat. I also cheated more, gyros are usually served on flat bread which has hurt my stomach in the past, so we used whole wheat, low carb, tortillas. Seriously yummy and 4ft said it was one of the best tacos he's ever had. Taco? I know, right? Sheesh. That would explain why he put ketchup on his. Where did I go wrong?

Tzatziki sauce is usually made with plain Greek yogurt of which I had none of (I thought I did but somehow I don't think key lime Greek yogurt would've been delicious) so I cheated and used light sour cream -- they're pretty close -- but it would've been nice to have the protein from the plain Greek yogurt. Next time. I also didn't use cucumbers because 1.) I didn't have any and 2.) my family loathes them. But the sauce turned out pretty delicious regardless of all my substitutions and complimented the meat really well. My family (except for the Littles who just had cheese quesadillas -- another reason 4ft thought they were tacos I'm sure) thought so as well if their cleaned plates, full bellies, and satisfied smiles that accompanied their belches were any indication.





Pork Gyro w/ Tzatziki

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin (cut into chunks)
1/ 4 cup minced onion
1 TBS minced garlic
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 cup light sour cream
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Directions
1.) In a food processor, combine pork, onion, garlic, garlic powder, rosemary, rubbed sage, paprika, salt, coriander, cumin, oregano, and black pepper. Grind it until the meat is fully ground up and the spices are all incorporated well. 
2.) Cover meat mixture and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour. The longer it rests the more delicious it is.
3.) Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
4.) Fill a loaf pan with the mixture. Pat down well, making sure the meat is level with no air pockets.
5.) Put a wet towel in the bottom of a roasting pan. Place loaf pan on top of towel. Fill roasting pan with water until half way up the side of the loaf pan.
6.) Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until done.
7.) Make tzatziki sauce -- combine sour cream, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, celery salt, and garlic powder in a small bowl and mix well with a whisk until thoroughly combined. Set aside
8.) When gyro meat is done, pour off the grease and let rest 5 minutes. Slice thin, place on tortilla or flat bread with lettuce and topped with tzatziki sauce.

Nutritional Info per Serving (makes 8 servings)
Calories: 155
Protein: 19
Fat: 8
Carbs: 2
Sugar: 1

No comments: