Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pumpkin Oat Bread


I wish computers had smell-o-vision because you'd be loving the smell right now. A rich spicy pumpkin has permeated my kitchen (which is where my computer is at so I'm loving it) from these pumpkin loaves of wonderful. They're so moist (tell me I'm not the only one that snickers at the word "moist") and full of spicy pumpkin flavor. I can't believe how good they are. I wish I could gobble up a whole loaf (so it's probably a good thing I can't). I know you're licking the screen, don't worry, I won't tell anyone -- just watch the slobber, yeah?

I started experimenting with pumpkin because my BBFF, Gini Koch, loves pumpkin bread and I owe her a birthday present (plus 4ft also killed the rest of the banana bread so I needed another bread for breakfasts). So I started with the banana bread base recipe I came up with the other day (which was amazing) and then tore it apart and put it back together with more pumpkin-y type flavors. The results were equally amazing. I don't have experiment wins all the time but when I do, they're splendiferous, truly.

4ft can't decide which bread he likes more so I'd better wrap up a loaf of it for Gini before he eats it all -- as cute as 4ft is, I don't know if he's cute enough to save us from her wrath if she doesn't get some.



Pumpkin Oat Bread

Ingredients
1 cup whole grain oats (not instant)
2 scoops unflavored protein powder
2 TBS almond flour
1 tsp pumpkin spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 15oz can 100% pumpkin puree
1 5.3oz container of Greek yogurt (I used toasted coconut vanilla)
2 eggs
1 TBS full flavor molasses
1/4 cup clover honey
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

Directions
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2.) In a food processor or blender, combine oats, protein, almond flour, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, cloves, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Grind until flour consistency. Set aside.
3.) In a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, yogurt, eggs, molasses, honey, and applesauce -- mix well.
4.) Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and gently stir with a spatula until just combined.
5.) Divide evenly between 12 muffins or a greased 4-up mini-loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until done in the center. (Will make one full sized loaf but the bake time is longer).
6.) Rest loaves until cool. Slice. Devour.

Nutritional Info per Serving (makes 12 servings)
Calories: 114
Protein: 8
Fat: 2
Carbs: 17
Sugar: 10

No comments: