Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Almond Protein Shortcakes


Strawberry Shortcake has to be my most favoritest dessert on the planet. Galaxy even. I pretty much don't say no to any dessert really (life is about moderation after all so yeah, I still eat dessert on occasion, just instead of a portion the size of my head, I eat only a couple bites) but shortcake is my absolute favorite. Come on now, drool with me. Doesn't this look so splendiferous? I promise it tastes BETTER than it looks. No really, it does! And even better you can throw any fruit filling that you want if strawberries aren't your thing (if they aren't, I'm totally giving you a "you're so weird" look but pretend you don't see it). Peach, lemon curd, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, cinnamon apple, cinnamon pears, only your imagination is the limit.

Growing up, my family ate Strawberry Shortcake with the berries smashed to a bloody pulp and mixed with equal (my Papa was a diabetic) poured onto the store bought shortcake cups, drowned in Half & Half, and topped with whipped cream. I'm pretty sure we drowned the cakes in Half & Half to make them less rubbery and really we put so much berry pulp and whipped cream on them you could have held the cake and we probably wouldn't have noticed. They looked disgusting as it was a melty smooshy hot mess but it was splendiferously wonderful and I was always heartbroken when my bowl was empty -- which was too soon because I horked it down so fast.

However, since my surgery, if I'm eating baked goods it's going to be goods I've baked. That way I can control the amounts of fat, protein, sugar, and healthiness of them. Because while I believe life is moderation and there is room for dessert, why not try and make it somewhat good for you too if you can do so without sacrificing on the flavor? Exactly. There's no reason not too.

I've pretty much given up all-purpose flour when I bake. Not because I'm allergic to gluten or have an intolerance or that I don't like it but because the healthy aspect of almond, coconut, and oat flours is so high and with higher grams of protein why wouldn't I switch? I like to mix them up for different textures, light versus dense, and of course I always add in at least one scoop of protein powder. When you can only have a handful of bites you need all the protein punch you can get.

And do they get the Picky Eaters' Seal of Approval. Yes they do! Two thumbs and a big toe up. Way up. Neither the husband nor 4ft (Grumpers and Bear want nothing to do with this dessert. Strawberries, bleh -- they really are sick and twisted kids) had any idea how healthy these were for them and both of them loved them. They're requested again and again... and that's just fine by me because if I could, I'd eat them all in one sitting. They're that good.



Almond Protein Shortcakes

Ingredients
2 eggs
1 5.3oz container of Dannon Light N' Fit Toasted Vanilla Coconut Greek Yogurt
3 TBS honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup (packed) almond flour
1/4 (loosely filled) cup coconut flour
1 scoop unflavored protein powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

Directions
1.) Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
2.) In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, yogurt, honey, and vanilla. Mix well.
3.) Fold in the flours, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Mix until just combined.
4.) In a prepared muffin pan (with liners or sprayed with nonstick spray) fill cups 2/3 full. (Should fill 8 cups)
5.) Bake for 15-20 minutes at 325 degrees until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
6.) Cool on cooling racks. Serve with your favorite fruit fillings and whipped cream.

No comments: