Monday, July 9, 2012

The South Beach Diet

I have a problem with sugar and fats. I like to eat them. A lot. My waistline can attest. 


The first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Well I have one. Now if only that would magically make the problem go away I'd be a happy camper. But it doesn't so here's my game plan: The South Beach Diet. I had chalked it up to another fad diet when it came out and I'd finished having my required "Atkins Experience" so I was so completely uninterested. I don't like the word "diet" and feel it sets you up for failure so from now on I'm calling it The South Beach Eating Plan.


Recently a doctor prescribed it for a friend of mine (who shall remain nameless unless she wants to shed her anonymity) and I said I'd do it with her. Try as I might, I just have not been able to get control of my cravings, eating habits, and lose the baby weight I put on with the Snuggle Bear. I hate the way I feel and could feel better about the way I look. Time to do something proactive instead of whining about how depressed I am to my husband.


After having committed myself to the South Beach cause, I figured I should find out what I was going to have to do so I got the book. (Yeah I was on board before I even knew what it would entail. What can I say, I'm an awesome friend.) I read it from cover to cover in one evening. Quickly scouring the pages, I thought, "Wow, this makes a lot of sense."


Of course in all diet books there are a lot of testimonials of people who have done it and succeeded. This one is no different. And I'm always skeptical of "other peoples" results. Did they follow the plan exactly? Did they have help of nutritionists? Did they transform into exercise fiends? 


I'm just me and I'm too damn broke to hire a barrage of nutritionists and I have three kids so I don't have time to be an exercise fiend. So this will be my ongoing testimonial and you can bet I'm going to be honest. I'm either going to prove it true or debunk The South Beach Diet. Doesn't that sound like fun?


First Phase: Detox


Oy and Vey. No sugar, no fruit, no starches, and no grains of any kind for 2 weeks. 


I can do anything for 2 weeks. Rawr. Girl Power! I can do this.

No comments: