Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Gotta Love the 60's

We had Horrible Movie Monday night and guess what? I OUTDID The FP horribleness that the Husband subjected me to with a little movie called, "Barbarella." Oh yeah in all it's Jane Fonda 1968 Shag Carpet awesomeness. Between the soundtrack, the fact that the plot mostly consisted on how many wardrobe changes they could squeeze Jane Fonda in after having them torn off of her, and my husband's comment, "We came for the breasts and stayed for the plot," it was an instant winner. My response to that comment, by the way, was, "What plot?" and he said, "Exactly."



4ft is loving Cub Scouts. We went to a Scout meeting last night and he had a blast, they made a Wolf Pack Flag with cutouts of their hands and decorated it. And last Saturday, I took him to the local car wash with another scout and parent - they sold popcorn for 2 hours. He had a lot of fun and actually sold quite a bit. He wants to, on top of getting to throw a pie at a person, earn enough in popcorn sales to get a camping kit that comes with a little pocket knife, binoculars, water bottle, flashlight, compass, and a bag to put it all in. So he's become a selling dervish -- please help support the Cub Scouts and 4ft by buying some 'corn -- http://www.trails-end.com/shop/scouts/email_referral.jsp?id=28430897I need to get a picture of him in his scout uniform so you guys can see how cute he is in it.

I made a few new recipes:

Italian Herb Roasted Chicken Breasts:


I didn't have any skin on bone in chicken breasts so I made it with boneless skinless. I think it would've been better the other way. I couldn't really get a crunch because there wasn't any skin -- but because I made it skinless I went ahead and had a small serving of smashed potatoes and gravy. It was still pretty good. 2/3 of the boys in my life ate it and liked it a lot.

Grilled Chicken and Black Bean Tostadas:


Nothing fancy, just some grilled some chicken breasts in taco seasoning and garlic powder. I sprayed a tortilla down with olive oil and threw it on the grill to give it some color and crunch and then loaded it up with a little bit of spanish rice, black beans, chicken, salsa, and a small dollop of fat-free sour cream. Super good. Grumpers ate a shell with cheese on it and ketchup and Husband and 4ft always love a fried shell with taco fillings.


Pork w/ Fig and Bulgar:


I got the recipe idea from Cooking Light -- but I couldn't find Farro or Wheat Berries -- all I could find was Bulgar which kind of looked like wheat berries so if it is great -- if not -- it was still delicious. I didn't tell the boys what it was stuffed with until after they tried it and 2/3 of them loved it. Grumpers wouldn't touch it with a 20ft pole but I wasn't really shocked, as I'm sure you're not. 


Gruyere Grilled Cheese w/ Tapenade: -- of course I forgot to take this one's picture. I tweaked the recipe a little bit I forgot to buy actual tomatoes and I added a little more cheese -- more Gruyere and some 2% Colby cheese. I'd never had Gruyere before. It's super good melted. Not that impressive raw. I had no idea the little block I got was freaking $11 until I looked at the receipt after I'd bought it. It was worth the money. I made the sun-dried tomato and kalamata olives tapenade -- it was super delicious. Grumpybutt never eats anything but the Husband and 4ft really liked it.

Grilled Chicken and Peach Chutney Sliders: -- I also forgot to take this one's picture. We were in a hurry. We had Cub Scouts and so we needed to eat and bounce. But it was also super delicious. I grilled the chicken, sprinkled with red pepper, black pepper, and garlic salt in olive oil. When it was done, I tossed 2 peaches (pitted) on the grill pan with a little more olive oil and roasted them. I threw them in a food processor with a garlic clove, tbs of apple cider, tbs of dijon mustard, tbs barbecue sauce, and a tbs of dark brown sugar. Then I shredded the chicken and mixed the chutney with the chicken and put the mixture on sliders with a couple thin slices of Gruyere cheese (for 11 bucks I have to make sure it gets eaten before it goes bad!). Grumpers didn't eat it but Husband and 4ft thought it was delicious -- 4ft so much so he took one to school for lunch today.

I also picked figs last weekend. Oh. My. Bob. I picked a LOT. I think I ended up with easily 5lbs if not more. So what did I do with the fig abundance?


Made jam. It turned out super delicious. I'm going to go and pick more so I can make some fig and walnut bread to go with it as Christmas gifts this year. The bread freezes wonderfully and is better for having been frozen really. So it'll be a great Christmas gift, I think. That is, if I don't eat it all. It turned out really good.

No comments: