Monday, February 10, 2014

Caramel Apple Crisp



I was perusing Facebook the other day and a friend of mine posted a picture of some individual apple pies that she'd baked -- they looked seriously delicious. Added to that, I got a produce box with a bunch of apples in it so I decided to try my hand at coming up with an apple crisp recipe. I like apple crisp better than pie. Several tries later: this stuff turned out awesome. It was great by itself but would seriously be good topped with protein ice cream or as the topping of a protein waffle.

To healthy it up a little, I used unsweetened applesauce with some butter extract instead of butter. It gave the caramel the buttery flavor I was looking for as well as giving the sauce a thicker consistency without having to use flour. I also used Kashi Protein Go Lean Crisp cereal as the topping to add some protein into the dish without messing up the consistency of the apple deliciousness underneath. Any granola or cereal topping of your choice would work but the nutritional info listed is for the one I used.


Caramel Apple Crisp

Ingredients
2 medium apples
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 TBS sugar free caramel syrup
1 TBS honey
1/4 tsp caramel extract
1/8 butter extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp cornstarch
pinch of salt
3/4 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp - Cinnamon Crumble

Directions
1.) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
2.) Peel and cut apples into bite-sized pieces
3.) In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients from applesauce through to the salt well. Toss in apples and stir well. 
4.) Divide apple mixture evenly between 4 ramekins and top each ramekin with 3 TBS of Cinnamon Crumble.
5.) Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and place ramekins on top. Bake in oven for 25 minutes.
6.) Remove from oven, let sit 5 minutes, and then serve.

Nutritional Info per serving (makes 4 servings)
Calories: 118
Protein: 3
Fat: 1
Carbs: 27
Sugar: 17


When something is this good, it deserves a second look!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't have a ramekin, what size pan can I use?