Sunday, February 9, 2014

Chicken Scampi


One of my favorite dishes when I go out to eat is shrimp scampi -- I love me some butter and garlic and shrimp. However it's got a ton of fat in it (which is probably why it tastes so good) and I don't go out to eat a lot anymore. It's a waste of money because I can only eat a small portion of my plate and I have a two-year-old Bear. So I figured I could make it at home and make it a little healthier. Then I started looking around at my family of picky eaters and none of them like shrimp and it seemed ridiculous to make a dinner that I was only going to be able to eat a little bit of. So I thought, "Why not chicken (cluck cluck)? They like chicken." And thus this recipe was born.

I think it would also work amazing with shrimp if you're not surrounded by that which are picky eaters.


Chicken Scampi

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts - cut into bite-sized pieces
1 egg
1 TBS soy milk
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 tsp pepper
1/2 cup panko (or breadcrumbs)
1 1/2 tsp parsley
cooking spray
2 TBS unsalted butter
3 TBS minced garlic
1 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup white wine
1/2 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
1.) In a medium bowl combine egg through pepper and mix thoroughly. Add chicken and set aside.
2.) in a small bowl combine panko and parsley. Dredge egg soaked chicken through panko and set aside.
3.) Heat a large skillet on medium high. Spray with cooking spray and then panko-covered chicken. About 5 minutes. (It doesn't have to be cooked through as it will be simmering in the sauce). Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
4.) In large skillet (the one that you just took the chicken out of) melt butter and add garlic. Saute garlic until fragrant -- don't burn. Then add chicken broth through salt to the pan and bring it to a boil.
5.) Toss the chicken back in the pan and stir. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes.
6.) Top with grated Parmesan and serve. I like to use pearled couscous instead of noodles with this dish -- they have more nutritional value and soak up the sauce better.

Nutritional Info per Serving (makes 4 servings)
Calories: 247
Protein: 29
Fat: 9
Carbs: 4
Sugar: 0

No comments: