Monday, February 3, 2014

Holy Jalapenos -- Jalapeno Poppers


Yesterday was the Superbowl. Well actually there was nothing really super about it. Should've been called the Boringbowl instead. It wasn't so much the Broncos lost (as they were who I was rooting for -- I heart me some Peyton Manning) but that the rest of the team didn't even bother to show up for the game. Poor guy couldn't catch a break and it was heart wrenching to watch. So I didn't -- I did laundry instead. LAUNDRY! That's how bad it was. 

However, when I had high hopes and dreams to watch a great game, no matter who the winner was, I made some Superbowl treats because it's like required or something. I made homemade 5-Layer dip (which is super easy: a layer of low fat refried black beans, a mashed avocado with salt and pepper, salsa, light sour cream, and 2% Four Cheese Mexican Blend) and I served it with baked whole grain pita chips (seriously delicious people), a salami and cheese tray with reduced fat Wheat Thins, veggies and ranch dip, apple slices, and the piece de la resistance Jalapeno Poppers. I made so much food you'd have thought we were having a party instead of the five of us sitting down to watch the game. And while the game was just awful the food couldn't be beat especially the poppers! They were a real crowd pleaser and because I roasted the jalapenos before I filled them and roasted them again to make them hot and melty (yes it's a word), they had a lot of flavor but not a lot of heat. They were wonderful and I enjoyed every bite (and my tummy did too).


Jalapeno Poppers

Ingredients
4 jalapeno peppers (cut in half with the seeds and stems removed)
2 slices of center cut bacon (cooked and chopped)
4 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 TBS light ranch
1 TBS sour cream
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 TBS 2% mexican shredded cheese blend (divided)
olive oil
salt

Directions
1.) Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
2.) Arrange peppers on a foil lined baking sheet -- spray with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 5 - 10 minutes. (I baked closer to 10 to cook out a lot of the heat because of my stomach)
3.) In a medium-sized bowl mix chopped bacon through 1 TBS of cheese.
4.) When peppers are cooked as desired, fill with cream cheese mixture, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and stick in the fridge uncovered for an hour. (This dries the shredded cheese topping out and gives it a crunch when you bake it.) 
5.) Bake in 425 degree F oven until peppers are hot and cheese is turning a golden color.
6.) Let cool for a couple minutes and then devour.

Nutritional Info per Serving (makes 4 servings)
Calories: 117
Protein: 5
Fat: 9
Carbs: 3
Sugar: 1

No comments: