Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Pepper Steak


This recipe was inspired by panic. See, I'd originally thawed out some steak to make for dinner Saturday night but instead we had pizza. Then I was going to make it Sunday but that was Boringbowl and we had so many snacks no one was hungry for dinner. Yesterday (Monday), my inlaws and niece were coming to see the kids and the husband for their birthdays and I promised them dinner. The problem lay in the fact that there wasn't enough steak to just have steak and if I didn't cook it, it was going to go bad. So after frantically searching my cupboards (yes, I knew about this weeks in advance nothing like procrastination and last minute panicking) I set upon making this concoction. It turned out seriously delicious and everyone loved it (and my mother-in-law, who is a trained chef, asked me, ME, what I made the sauce out of -- it was a moment.)


Pepper Steak

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs of steak sliced thin
1 TBS cornstarch
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 + 1/4 tsp black pepper
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS minced garlic
2 bell peppers (orange and red) sliced
1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup (condensed)
1 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce 
1 TBS golden brown sugar
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 tsp molasses (full flavor)

Directions
1.) Combine cornstarch, salt, garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp pepper in a small bowl. Add steak strips to a gallon Ziplock bag and sprinkle cornstarch mixture over the top. Seal and shake your groove thing yeah yeah (show me how you work it now. you're welcome for the ear worm) -- covering the steak completely. Set aside.
2.) In a medium sized bowl, mix together Campbell's soup through molasses and set aside.
3.) Heat large skillet to medium high with olive oil.
4.) When hot, add TBS of minced garlic and let cook for 15 - 30 seconds. Add peppers and saute for 5 minutes and then remove from pan.
5.) Add steak to hot pan (same pan the peppers were in) and brown for 3 - 5 minutes depending on how thin you cut the meat.
6.) Dump the peppers back into the pan and pour on the sauce.
7.) Simmer for 5 minutes and then add 1/4 tsp pepper (or more if you want more kick)
8.) Serve with brown rice or cous cous (the sauce is delicious on them).

Nutritional Info per Serving (makes 8 servings)
Calories: 211
Protein: 20
Fat: 9
Carbs: 12
Sugar: 7

No comments: