Monday, April 28, 2014

Chicken Asparagus Salad Boats


Who doesn't love a chicken salad on a spring day? Or any day for that matter. Can I get an, "Amen!"? 

Stop drooling. I've already had to wipe up the drool puddle I made.

Now it used to be that I could cheat and use the canned chicken, toss in some "everything but the kitchen sink" type stuff into it, add some mayo and call it a meal. Don't judge. I knew it was cheating and I did it anyway... So there! Anyway, since my surgery I cannot stomach that swill out of a can anymore (which really does hurt my feelings because it was quick protein fix on days when I didn't feel like cooking or eating leftovers, you know?) So now anytime I grill chicken, I grill extra. Which was what I did for dinner the other night. On top of that, I accidentally (on purpose) grilled too many asparagus spears. At first, I thought, well I've got dinner leftovers for tomorrow night so I can make the Husband and ankle biters (Okay so 4ft could totally bite higher than that, but you know what I mean) a no dietary restrictions dinner. Well as I was slaving away on Sloppy Joe's (which are delicious but too much sugar and bun for my poor tummy) I was uninspired with just leftover grilled chicken and asparagus. 


Then lightning struck:

Booyah! Chicken Salad. Even better chicken salad with ASPARAGUS (I kid you not when I make chicken salad I raid the fridge and throw anything that looks delicious into the mix) Heck to the yeah, hook that up. I could've had a sandwich (who am I kidding? just half a sandwich) as I can fin-a-lly eat bread again but spring days and sunny weather just make me want to eat salads. And with the lettuce boats as a vehicle, I could eat MORE of the crunchy, sweet, mayo-ny, chicken goodness without filling up on the bread so fast. Oh yeah, bonus!



Chicken Asparagus Salad Boats


Doesn't it look so pretty?

Ingredients
1 4 oz grilled chicken breast -- cubed
5 grilled asparagus spears -- sliced
1 celery stalk -- diced
2 tbs onion -- diced
1 cup seedless grapes -- sliced
1/4 cup olive oil mayonnaise
1/8 dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
8 romaine lettuce heart leaves ("boats")

Directions
1.) Combine all the ingredients, except lettuce, in a bowl and mix together
2.) Divide chicken salad mix evenly between lettuce "boats"
3.) Serve and eat. Super delicious


Less pretty but ohhh so delicious!

No comments: