Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Barbecue Bacon Jalapeno Popper Chicken Bombs



I have a weakness for bacon. Who doesn't, right? I like to buy the center cut kind because it's a little less fatty than the normal cut and while some people swear by turkey bacon, I'm all about the real stuff so I cut the fat where I can. One, by buying center cut and two, by only eating one or two pieces. Yes, I'm the queen of willpower, why do you ask? And of course the piece I snitch while I'm cooking the bacon doesn't count. 

When I posted the Witch Doctor's Angry Chicken one of my friends told me she did something like that but put bacon in it. I thought that sounded like an amazing idea and I just so happened to have a partial package of bacon in the fridge. Serendipitous, you say? I agree. I also had some Apple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce in the fridge as well and I thought that sounded even more amazing. Bacon, barbecue, and jalapenos -- could it get any better than that?

I'm telling you now my friends, it CANNOT! This chicken was amazing. It's a little more work what with pounding the chicken super super thin and rolling it up like a burrito but it's totally worth it. You get jalapeno cheesiness with barbecue bacon in every bite and you don't need toothpicks to hold it closed like when you stuff the chicken like pockets. 

Picky Eaters' Seal of Approval: Big eyes, wide smiles, and lots of piggy noises as the food was devoured. 


Barbecue Bacon Jalapeno Popper Chicken Bombs
makes 8 bariatric servings (4 regular servings)

Ingredients
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts -- pounded thin
8 slices of center cut bacon
1 cup Apple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
3 oz of 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1/3 cup shredded 2% sharp cheddar
1 TBS chopped jarred jalapeno
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Directions
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2.) In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, jalapeno, and cheddar cheese. Mix well.
3.) Season the chicken -- both sides -- with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
4.) Divide the cream cheese mixture evenly between the chicken breasts. Spread the mixture to cover each breast completely then roll the chicken like a burrito.
5.) Wrap 2 slices of bacon around each chicken roll-up
6.) Place chicken roll-ups in a casserole dish and divide Apple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce evenly between the breasts.
7.) Bake for 20 minutes at 350 and then crank oven up to broil to glaze the sauce. When done, let the chicken rest for a couple minutes before serving.
8.) Enjoy

No comments: