Monday, May 26, 2014

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Bananas


I love frozen bananas. I mean who doesn't? Well, those who don't actually like bananas in general but they're just sick and twisted so I pretend they don't exist. Which makes being married to my husband and having a Grumpers hard because they loathe bananas. There is something just not right about that but atleast Bear and 4ft love bananas as much as I do, so I'm not alone in my love affair. But now that I think of it, I kind of wish I was because when I make this snack, I'd get to eat them all myself instead of having to share with my munchkins. It's a good thing they're cute and I love them.

These are a great snack on a hot day (who am I kidding? Any day). You get all the health benefits of a banana, protein from the peanut butter, crunch from the pretzel, and sweet from the dark chocolate -- which actually has health benefits. So, it's like dieting when you eat these. Okay, it's really not but don't you love how I justify some of the treats that I make.

And really they're so good at being filling and silencing the sweet cravings, it's not a problem to share a banana with the kids because I can only eat a couple anyway. And if you need another excuse, other than they're splendiferously delicious, to make these -- it's just fun! My kids love making these with me. They dip their banana slices in chocolate and then add sprinkles -- candy, pretzels, nuts, sea salt, granola, grape nuts, rice crispies, (the list is as long as your imagination).


Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Bananas

Ingredients:
banana
peanut butter (I used smooth, I bet crunchy would be good too)
broken pretzel pieces
dark dipping chocolate to cover

Directions:
1.) Peel and freeze a banana
2.) When frozen, cut into even number of slices
3.) Spread peanut butter between two slices of bananas like a sandwich (do for all slices)
4.) put back in freezer and melt dark dipping chocolate (or whichever chocolate you like)
5.) Dip banana into chocolate and immediately top with pretzels so it sticks in the chocolate
6.) Let set, and EAT!!! (seriously a great treat that isn't too bad for you!) -- make a bunch and stick them in the freezer for when the cravings attack. A couple of these and you'll be set to jet.

No comments: