Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Ginger-Peach Glazed Chicken


Anyone who has followed this blog for any amount of time knows how much chicken we eat. I'm surprised we haven't turned into a family of cannibal cluckers as we eat that much chicken. And as I was trying to think of how to make the chicken breasts I'd gotten out for dinner and trying to contain the urge to bawk and scratch for bugs, I noticed another can of peaches in my cupboard. Why I'd felt the need to buy two cans for my soft food stage, I'm not sure, as I didn't eat any peaches, but there they were. 

Fortuitous really.

I felt like something different and the different singing its siren's song was the peaches. Some of my favorite cooking is on the fly, throw things together, cross your fingers, and hope it comes out at least good while hoping for splendiferous. So that's what I did. Luckily for you guys, since I started this blog, I measure everything I throw in and write it down.

This chicken turned out amazing covered in a fruity, slightly sweet, glaze. I know it takes a little more time than most my recipes but it's really worth it and the glaze can be made ahead of times (cuz, hey, that's what I did) and stored in the fridge until you're ready to use it. The key to the flavor is cooking down the peaches, it really enhances the peach flavor. 

Picky Eaters' Seal of Approval: Two thumbs up and seconds! 4ft has decided there is nothing I can't make delicious. He's a sweetie, that boy.




Ginger-Peach Glazed Chicken

Ingredients
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (thin-sliced)
1 TBS garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
15 oz can peaches in 100% juice
1 tsp ginger paste
1 TBS bourbon
2 TBS clover honey
1 TBS light brown sugar
1 TBS ketchup
1/4 tsp of garlic chili sauce (optional for some kick)

Directions
1.) In a blender or food processor, combine peaches and juice, ginger, bourbon, honey, brown sugar, ketchup, and optional chili sauce. Process until peaches are smooth and all ingredients are fully incorporated.
2.) In a medium sauce pan, pour peach puree, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When boiling, turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes -- stirring occasionally. When sauce is thick, remove from heat, and set aside for 5 minutes.
3.) Season chicken breasts with garlic, salt, and pepper. Grill over medium high heat -- 5 minutes on each side.
4.) Baste with ginger peach sauce and grill each side another 1-2 minutes or until done.
5.) Enjoy!

This makes enough Ginger-Peach sauce to do 8 - 12 chicken breasts. Save remainder of the sauce in a covered container in the fridge. Sauce would be delicious on pork or duck too.

No comments: