Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Szechuan Chicken Chowmein


My family hates Chinese food. I believe I've mentioned this. I believe they tell me all the time, with great passion, how much they dislike and abhor Chinese food which is why I never get to have authentic delicious Chinese wonderfulness. Yet, every single time I make Chinese food at home -- THEY EAT IT! The entire family ate this dish. Yes you read that right. Even Grumpers and Bear ate the noodles. 

After 4ft declared it was seriously the best ever, he decided that maybe he does like Chinese food after all and has graciously offered to go to Panda Express with me. He's a giver, him. I'm sure he said Panda Express because we drive by it all the time and he knows it's Chinese food. Because when I go for Chinese food, I don't go for Panda Express. Not to say that it's not good but since I so rarely get to eat it, I want the splendiferously delicious stuff. You know?

Picky Eaters' Seal of Approval: 8 Thumbs up, Yummy noises, and a grudging admittance to perhaps liking Asian food after all. 

(And if Szechuan Chicken isn't really Chinese food but from a different Asian culture, I apologize. I didn't know any better.)



Szechuan Chicken Chowmein

Ingredients
1 TBS olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 TBS rice vinegar
2 tsp siracha chile sauce
1 TBS minced garlic
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp tomato paste
1 TBS brown sugar
1/2 tsp lemon
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS corn starch
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 small white onion -- sliced
1 lb chicken breast -- cubed
2 baby bok choy -- sliced
2 celery sticks -- sliced
1 carrot stick -- peeled into strips
1 cup broccoli florets
3 oz of protein plus spaghetti 

Directions
1.) In a small bowl, combine chicken broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, siracha, minced garlic, ginger paste, tomato paste, brown sugar, lemon, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and set aside.
2.) In a gallon Ziplock bag, combine cubed chicken breast, corn starch, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Shake until chicken is completely coated and set aside.
3.) Cook pasta as directed. 
4.) When pasta is nearly done, heat large nonstick skilled over medium high heat and add olive and sesame oil. When oil is hot, add chicken and saute until chicken is seared on both sides. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
5.) Add broccoli, celery, and onions to hot pan. Saute for 3 minutes and add bok choy, carrots, chicken, pasta, and sauce mix. Saute until chicken is done, sauce is thickened, and vegetables are done to taste (About 5 minutes).
6.) Serve hot. Enjoy.

No comments: