Monday, July 5, 2010

Said NO To Carrot Cake!

And that's about all I said, "No," to.

I hadn't had any plans to be a part of a barbecue yesterday. My plans were to take 3ft and Mr. Grumpybutt to the pool and try to drown 3ft (he's a slippery little fish -- so no drowning). Then come home, make spaghetti for dinner, get the kids in bed, and watch a movie or something. That's not what happened.

The barbecue came to us.

I have really great neighbors. Their children are the same ages as mine. They have two girls I have two boys. We're thinking of betrothing them. I digress. Anyway...they came to the pool yesterday with a huge feast and a lot of their family. They swooped on me like a pack of wild hyenas (except more awesome because I totally love these guys) and all the sudden I was a part of a huge barbecue party with lots of food, music, and laughs. It was a total blast.

There was a lot of cultural food. Homemade salsa, tamales, beans, carne asada, and tortillas.

They also barbecued oysters. I've never had oysters before and assumed they'd be the size of clams. Oh no.. they're HUGE and he bbq'd them in their shells, popped them open, then basted them in butter, garlic, jalepenos, and then put shredded cheese on them.. when the cheese was melted he put tabasco on them. Since I'd never had oysters I tried one. OH EM GEE it was so good -- I had to have two of them. (I didn't want to be rude.) And even better, I didn't get sick later from the spicy food. Hooray... I think my body is finally adjusting to missing it's gall bladder.

Then later after the rest of the food was done cooking, my neighbor made me a plate because I was swimming with the kids in the pool. And she put a little bit of everything on it for me. It was so good. I was hungry from swimming. I ate it ALL! I have no idea how many calories I consumed yesterday from about noon til 7. I did a lot of swimming so I'm hoping it balanced out.

Then they invited us to go watch fireworks with them. 3ft was so tired from swimming for 7 hours that I almost had to carry him home from the pool. He totally crashed out on the couch talking about going to see the fireworks. So I put him to bed, grabbed my water bottle, and headed over for more partying.

They had cake. Lots and lots of different cakes. But they had my weakness -- CARROT CAKE!! I love carrot cake (come to think of it, I need to research the recipe and see if there is a way to healthy it up some so it's not so bad for me...). They offered and I actually heard, "No thank you," come out of my mouth. I was shocked. I thought for sure I was going to say yes and think "eff it. It's a holiday" but no. I said no. They asked are you sure. I heard myself say, "Yes I'm sure. I'm still so full from all the excellent food I horked down."

So I might have not had any willpower to say no to any of the delicious homemade cultural food, but I did have the willpower to turn away cake when I was full. Which is awesome because back in the day even if I was stuffed I would've still shoved the cake in on top of it.

Happy Fourth of July!!!

--Previous Day Tracking --

Exercise - Swam at the pool all day. Drank 12 glasses of water. Day 22 of no soda.

Meals:
Breakfast - scrambled eggs, slice of toast, sliced strawberries, blueberries, and sliced frozen bananas
Lunch - Tuna Salad Sandwich, 2 pickle spears, and a few pretzels
Mid-Afternoon Snack - tamale, chips and salsa, Aged White Cheddar Pirate Popcorn
Dinner - barbecued oysters, barbecued carne asada, corn on the cob, homemade spanish beans, homemade corn tortillas, and macaroni salad.
Evening Snack - Angel Food Cake w/ blueberries and strawberries

total calories = have no idea
total days = 27
total pounds lost = 11.3

No comments: