Monday, August 23, 2010

Ta Da...Almond Milk!

I totally did it! I made Almond Milk from scratch. I ate it on my cereal this morning. It was so super good. And it was really easy. I did a standard batch just to see if I would like it. 1 cup almonds soaked over night, then rinsed and blended with 4 cups water. Then strain out the nut bits and ta da... Almond Milk! I also have almond meal to put in my delicious baked goods. Now I'm going to start playing with the recipe and make different flavors of it.

I'm a little bitter though. I went to Trader Joe's and bought a bag of Raw Almonds and paid 5 bucks for a pound. I went to Costco afterward (yesterday was my shopping day, I went to like 5 stores) and I found a 3lb bag for 9 bucks -- a much better deal. C'est la vie, I know for next time.



I also bought some chocolate covered almonds from Costco yesterday. They were so delicious and it totally satisfied the chocolate craving monster I've been battling for the last week. I savored them. Before the lifestyle change I would've horked them down and eaten half the ginormous container (3ft likes them too which is why I bought so much) without even batting an eye then cried as I watched the scale climb. Now I am portion smart and have self control and I was able to stop myself at a handful and ENJOY them. That's a major big deal for me.

--Previous Day Tracking --

Exercise - Day Off

Healthy Lifestyle - Day 76

Only Water - Day 71

Total Pounds Lost - 27.3

Meals:
Breakfast - peanut butter toast w/ banana and FiberOne Honey Clusters
Lunch - Southwestern Grilled Chicken Salad w/out cheese and dressing (McDonalds)
Mid-Afternoon Snack - Handful of chocolate covered Almonds and a FiberOne Granola Bar
Dinner - Cajun Chicken Sandwich w/ avocado instead of mayo and Homemade Jalapeno Potato Chips

Total Day Calories - 1140

2 comments:

Melanie Hooyenga said...

I'm surprised it was so easy to make the almond milk. I expected it to be a lot more difficult. How much will a 5lb bag yield?

Lisa Dovichi said...

I know, right? It was crazy easy. And I have a super lame blender. I told my hubs that I wanted a "real" food processor so then it would be even EASIER! :D

1 cup of almonds yields 4 cups milk. I bought a pound and a cup took about 1/2 the bag? So I'd say 1 pound would do approximately 8 cups? So 5lbs would do 40?

Which at the store I've seen pre-made almond milk, the cheapest, 3 bucks for a quart. Which is four cups. So it's cheaper to make your own.

Because it has no preservatives in it, it only lasts about 5 days before you don't want to drink it anymore. Which works for me because I drink about a cup a day on cereal and cooking things :D So I only make 4 cups at a time.