Friday, May 16, 2014

Strawberries & Tropical Cream Protein Popsicles


This one is for my mom, well kinda. When I posted the Strawberry Cheesecake Protein Popsicles, my mom asked if she could omit the cream cheese (cuz she's one of those people who doesn't like cheesecake -- weird, right?) and just make strawberries and cream. So I told her I'd create something without the cream cheese. But when I did just the "cream" bit, it was boring. Blah. Nothing spectacular. So I tossed that and went for something with a little more pizzazz (insert jazz hands here). 

While I was blending up the strawberries, for whatever reason, my mind tripped on this drink that I used to get at Red Lobster. A Sunset Passion Colada, I think it was called. I'm not even sure if they make them anymore. But it was basically a pina colada topped with strawberry puree. Well I can't do alcohol anymore (but I bet this would be delicious with some Malibu added to the "tropical cream") and a daquiri mix has a lot of sugar in it (not too mention I don't just keep that stocked at my house) so I threw together stuff I did have on hand to make the pina colada part and then made it creamier. 

It is tropical heaven on a stick (and in a bowl -- because as with all my recipes and lack of molds, I always have leftovers) and makes you think of slushy tropical drinks and lazy days in a hammock. And bob knows I could use a lazy, sun-soaked day in a hammock, sipping on a fruity slushy drink. I mean, doesn't everyone?



Strawberries & Tropical Cream Protein Popsicles

Ingredients
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 small banana
1 mango -- peeled and cored
1/4 tsp cinnamon
5.3 oz container of Toasted Coconut Greek Yogurt
2 scoops unflavored protein powder
1/4 cup Splenda (divided)
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 tsp lemon juice

Directions
1.) In a blender, combine coconut milk, pineapple and juice, banana, mango, cinnamon, yogurt, protein powder, and 2 TBS Splenda. Blend on high until thick and creamy. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
2.) In a blender, combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 TBS Splenda. Blend  on high until smooth. Pour into a bowl and set aside. 
3.) Fill molds, alternating between coconut mix and strawberry mix to make swirly layers. Freeze for at least 4 hours.
4.) Close your eyes and escape to the tropics. Enjoy!!!

No comments: